Now attend and listen!
One day Tegumai Bopsulai went down through the beaver-swamp to the Wagai river to spear carp-fish for dinner, and Taffy went too. Tegumai’s spear was made of wood with shark’s teeth at the end, and before he had caught any fish at all he accidentally broke it clean across by jabbing it down too hard on the bottom of the river. They were miles and miles from home (of course they had their lunch with them in a little bag), and Tegumai had forgotten to bring any extra spears.
‘Here’s a pretty kettle of fish!’ said Tegumai. ‘It will take me half the day to mend this.’
‘There’s your big black spear at home,’ said Taffy. ‘Let me run back to the Cave and ask Mummy to give it me.’
‘It’s too far for your little fat legs,’ said Tegumai. ‘Besides, you might fall into the beaver-swamp and be drowned. We must make the best of a bad job.’ He sat down and took out a little leather mendy-bag, full of reindeer-sinews and strips of leather, and lumps of bee’s-wax and resin, and began to mend the spear.
Taffy sat down too, with her toes in the water and her chin in her hand, and thought very hard. Then she said —‘I say, Daddy, it’s an awful nuisance that you and I don’t know how to write, isn’t it? If we did we could send a message for the new spear.’
‘Taffy,’ said Tegumai, ‘how often have I told you not to use slang? “Awful” isn’t a pretty word, but it could be a convenience, now you mention it, if we could write home.’
- The Butterfly That Stamped_Just So Stories for Little Children
- The Cat That Walked by Himself_Just So Stories for Little Children
- The Crab That Played with the Sea_Just So Stories for Little Children
- How the Alphabet Was Made_Just So Stories for Little Children
- The Beginning of the Armadillos_Just So Stories for Little Children
- The Sing-Song of Old Man Kangaroo_Just So Stories for Little Children
- The Elephant’s Child_Just So Stories for Little Children
- How the Leopard Got His Spots_Just So Stories for Little Children
- How the Rhinoceros Got His Skin_Just So Stories for Little Children
- How the Camel Got His Hump_Just So Stories for Little Children