They were once sitting thus when the little grandson of four years old began to gather together some bits of wood upon the ground. 'What are you doing there?' asked the father. 'I am making a little trough,' answered the child, 'for father and mother to eat out of when I am big.'
The man and his wife looked at each other for a while, and presently began to cry. Then they took the old grandfather to the table, and henceforth always let him eat with them, and likewise said nothing if he did spill a little of anything.
- THE STORY OF THE YOUTH WHO WENT FORTH TO LEARN WHAT FEAR WAS_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE SALAD_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE WEDDING OF MRS FOX_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE SEVEN RAVENS_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE KING OF THE GOLDEN MOUNTAIN_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE TWELVE HUNTSMEN_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE WATER OF LIFE_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE GOLDEN GOOSE_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE RAVEN_Grimms' Fairy Tales
- THE BLUE LIGHT_Grimms' Fairy Tales